Sharing the work and world of my fellow authors!

Friday, December 30, 2016

An Excerpt From “The Price of Beauty in Strawberry Land” (Carson Reno Mystery Series Book 2) by Gerald W. Darnell

the-price-of-beauty-on-strawberry-lane

On Highway 45 at the Gibson/Madison County line, I found the ‘My Place’ Bar and Grill – owned and operated by former Coach James ‘Jimmy’ Gannon. The High School Football Coach who had been involved with Charlotte Luckey. It wasn’t much to look at – outside or inside.
I grabbed a stool at the bar, ordered a Budweiser and checked out the scenery. I didn’t recognize anyone, so I figured I wasn’t going to run afoul of any of Mickey Campbell’s men. Leroy hadn’t told me whether they had picked Mickey up yet, but I expected that to happen real soon
An oversized, unshaven bartender delivered my Budweiser, and I threw a dollar on the counter before saying, “I’m looking for James Gannon.”
He gave me a silly look and responded, “Congratulations.” Then he turned and walked off.
That was an odd response – so maybe I needed to rephrase my words.
I said I’m looking for James Gannon,” I yelled at this idiot. “Do you know where I might find him?”
He walked back to me, leaned across the bar and said, “Mister, I heard you the first time and if I had intended to respond to your question, I would have done so,” he turned and waited on another customer.
His comment told me what I wanted to know – I was talking to Coach James Gannon. Normally oversized, unshaven bartenders are not know for proper speech. This oversized and unshaven bartender had some education – although he really didn’t want it to show.
The jukebox was not too loud, and I could tell from the set-up and marquee that live entertainment would be performing at ‘My Place’ this evening.
I got his attention and motioned him back over. “You ready for another beer?” he asked when he walked up.
“Sure. And Coach Gannon, I would like a few minutes of your time, if possible.”
“Who are you and why are you here?”
My name is Carson Reno. I’m originally from Humboldt but now work as a private detective in Memphis. I’m working with the Gibson County Sheriff and FBI to try and locate a missing person – Miss Charlotte Luckey.”
“Oh shit,” Was all he could say.
ger-new-year-hat
the-price-of-beauty-in-strawberry-land-carson-reno-mystery-series-book-2

You can find “The Price of Beauty in Strawberry Land”
(Carson Reno Mystery Series Book 2) by Gerald W. Darnell at:

  Amazon


onp-banner-by-lori
If you would like more information about our services send an e-mail to Viv Drewa at the-owl-lady@att.net

No comments:

Post a Comment