Sharing the work and world of my fellow authors!

Friday, January 27, 2017

An Excerpt from “Dead On Arrival” (A Laura and Gerry Mystery, Book 1) by Karen Vaughan

karen doa valentine 2.jpg

#KarenVaughan
#Owl&PussycatPromotions


“What was I thinking as I got up that Monday morning? I had impulsively quit my job. I was on benefits for chronic health problems. However, I was employed part time as an office temp. The placement I had been on just didn’t work out. I guess I am just too soft- hearted to deal with all the deadbeats calling in begging for mercy at the collection agency I had been assigned to. I woke up with the sudden fear, that despite my best efforts in budgeting, that I would have to do something to keep my financials afloat.
All those worries were put on the back burner when I tripped over the dead body in the middle of my living room. “What the hell?” I exclaimed as I went flying over a lump of something. As every red-blooded girl, would do in this situation, I screamed.
When I managed to pick myself up off the floor, I realized I knew the dead body.
The deceased was none other than Anthony “Velcro” Hodges. He was aptly nicknamed Velcro as he attached himself to his prey until the debt in question was collected upon or the asset in question was repossessed. He was said to be fairly hard-nosed and not well liked in general. In short, he was an aggressive bully, and had been arrested for harassing people he attempted to collect from. He probably deserved to be fired for questionable practices, but murdered?
As my sniffer, doesn’t usually work properly first thing in the morning, until I get the first pot of coffee going, it didn’t really occur to me that something smelled bad. Well, not bad per se, more like something rotting. What I had assumed was fermenting overripe fruit—perhaps I’d left my bananas out too long, was, in reality, Anthony.
I went around opening windows and the balcony doors, just as my gag reflexes were kicking in. Too late and, I hurled my first cup of coffee out onto my patio. Maybe it wasn’t just the smell, but the shock of seeing a body in the middle of my living room and the realization that my personal space had been grossly violated. The only two people that had keys besides me were Gerry and Ray the building supers. I immediately thought this was one of Gerry’s’ practical jokes, but where did he get the stiff?
line-7

karen-dead-on-arrival-2

You can find “Dead On Arrival” 
(A Laura and Gerry Mystery, Book 1) 
by Karen Vaughan at:

Amazon – FREE on Kindle Unlimited

No comments:

Post a Comment