Sharing the work and world of my fellow authors!

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Nigel, Kristen and her former partner, Craig, work to bring the stalker down.

Karen holmes in america teaser 1.jpg
I turned my partner and said.  “Like Taggart said, we’ve had a month of working together and I think it’s time that I told you why I am now in uniform.  I was working vice on a drugs enforcement Task Force undercover.  One day on a stakeout, I was approached by two internal affairs officers and was asked open the trunk of my crown Victoria.  I didn’t expect to find anything out of the ordinary.  However, when I open the trunk, there was a cache of drugs including cocaine, ecstasy and crystal meth pills that had not there been there the night before when I turned my car in for the night.  It was obvious to me that I had been set up.  Unfortunately, I cannot prove that I did not obtain the drugs in question.  They are at an impasse because they couldn’t prove I did.  There was not enough evidence against me to fire me out right, but instead I would put on probation and demoted from Detective to patrol officer for a period of six months.  This for me is purgatory.  I thought you had a right to know.  I have never been or will never be a dirty cop.  You can count on that.”
Nigel turned me and put his hand on my shoulder.  I know you have very high standard where policing is concerned.  I’ve seen you in action.  It shows in your work that you have been in a higher rank.  But while I’ve been curious.  I respected your silence.  It was very brave of you to share this with me Kristen.  I really respect that.”
I was nearly in tears, so all I could do was nod.  “Thanks Nigel.  Just know that if there’s anything you ever want to talk about tell me I’m willing to listen.”
Nigel looked down and thought to himself.  Now’s a good time as any buddy.  Now that you mention it.  I have a secret of me own.  Before I came here, I too was a detective.  I worked homicide with the Manchester police.  I was supposed to be protecting a witness in the serial killer case I was working on.  I made one mistake by not maintaining a professional detachment.  The witness and I became romantically involved.  On the night I was supposed to be guarding her we were making love.  I had to go home.  In order to be ready for work.  While I was gone.  The serial killer had apparently been watching her house.  He saw me leave and entered the house.  I tried to reach her all day but when I got back to her apartment that night she had been dead for eight hours slashed like the rest of his victims.  I lost a witness in the killer went free.  I also lost the woman I love more than anything.  The powers that be could easily have fired me out right, but they didn’t.  Instead I was sent here as you say to do penance.”
In that instant I wanted to reach out and hug my partner, but I don’t think would be appropriate in Taggart’s office.  We can talk about this more later.  I said to him, if you want to.  That is.”
“Sounds good to me Kristen thanks for listing and thanks for understanding.  I’ve been holding it under me hat for a long time just waiting for the right time to tell you.  I know I’ve been a pain in the back side.  I’m going to try to curb the swearing and be more sensitive.  All he would teach you some British slayings you better understand me.”
Taggart chose that time to clear his throat.  “Before we all set to start singing Kum-bye-ah and chanting.  I have one more request to make of officer Holmes.  I think it best to take a seminar on sensitivity training.  As you know, officer Sherlock in charge of mentoring you and she is noticed that you have used some politically incorrect phrases while dealing with the public.  It does not sit well with me that you’re using British slang terminology in the presence of some of our cultural population.  I want it to stop!  I’m going to recommend counselling sessions for you in order to curb this tendency.  If you do not comply, I have no choice but to terminate your contract with us and you be deported back to England.  It’s a simple thing Holmes.  Please take this opportunity.”
Holmes held up his hand.  “No need to say anything further, sir.  I know my people skills are lacking.  Sometimes I have no filter on my mouth and it comes out of the most appropriate times.  I deeply regret referring to the African American population of the bunch of wogs.  Please do not fault officer Sherlock.  It’s on me.  I’d be more than happy to see a counsellor in order to curb the bad habit.  Sherlock you have my permission to slap me upside they had by say anything more derogatory about anyone or anyone body parts for that matter.”
I chuckled and nodded.  “I’ll be sure to remind you of that Nigel.”
I stood up and thanked Capt. Taggart for having the meeting and we would apprise him of the progress in our working relationship.  We left his office and headed towards our squad car to begin our shift.
line-8
Karen holmes in america

YOU CAN FIND “HOLMES IN AMERICA”
(A SHERLOCK/HOLMES MYSTERY #1) 
BY KAREN VAUGHAN AT:

AMAZON – FREE ON KINDLE UNLIMITED

No comments:

Post a Comment