Sharing the work and world of my fellow authors!

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Character quotes and an excerpt for “Dead On Arrival” by Karen Vaughan

doa

Gerry leaned over and kissed me.
“Be thankful you weren’t closer to the car than you were. Speaking of cars. Did I not tell you to stay in mine?”
“Well, yeah but…” I argued. “But, nothing! When I tell you to stay in the car, damn it, stay in the car!!!”
“You know I never listen.”
“Perhaps it would behoove you to start.”
decorative-lines-25_large
May 16, 2005 Finding the Package.What was I thinking as I got up that Monday morning? I had impulsively quit my job. I was on benefits for chronic health problems. However, I was employed part time as an office temp. The placement I had been on just didn’t work out. I guess I am just too soft-hearted to deal with all the deadbeats calling in begging for mercy at the collection agency I had been assigned to.
I woke up with the sudden fear, that despite my best efforts in budgeting, that I would have to do something to keep my financials afloat. All those worries were put on the back burner when I tripped over the dead body in the middle of my living room. What the hell? —As I went flying over a lump of something.
As every red-blooded girl would do in this situation, I screamed. When I managed to pick myself up off the floor, I realized I knew the dead body. The deceased was none other than Anthony “Velcro” Hodges. He was aptly nicknamed Velcro as he attached himsel  f to his prey until the debt in question was collected upon or the asset in question was repossessed. He was said to be fairly hard-nosed and not well liked in general. In short, he was an aggressive bully, and had been arrested for harassing people he attempted to collect from.
He probably deserved to be fired for questionable “practices”. But murdered? As my sniffer doesn’t usually work properly first thing in the morning, until I get the first pot of coffee going, it didn’t really occur to me that something smelled bad, well not bad per se like something rotting.
What I had assumed was fermenting over ripe fruit—perhaps I’d left my bananas out too long, was, in reality, Anthony. I went around opening windows and the balcony doors, just as my gag reflexes were kicking in. Too late and, I hurled my first cup of coffee out onto my patio. Maybe it wasn’t just the smell, but the shock of seeing a body in the middle of my living room and the realization that my personal space had been grossly violated.
The only two people that had keys besides me were Gerry and Ray the building supers.
I immediately thought this was one of Gerry’s’ practical jokes, but where did he get the stiff?
decorative-lines-25_large

You can buy “Dead on Arrival”
by Karen Vaughan at:

Amazon

Barnes&Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment