Sharing the work and world of my fellow authors!

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Excerpt from “Holmes In America: A Sherlock/Holmes mystery #1” (Sherlock/Holmes Mysteries) by Karen Vaughan

holmes-in-america

Nigel Holmes is a British Police Officer sent to Toronto after a witness was brutally murdered on his watch.
Kristen Sherlock is a Detective who was framed for drug possession and is being harassed by a dirty cop bent on ruining her.
line 2

EXCERPT

“Stop right there!” Eversley yelled.  “You guys better have some damn good reason for delivering items at two o’clock in the morning!  What respectable outfit drops off stuff at a warehouse at 2 AM?  Come on let’s have it –  where’s your ID?”
“Hey man, what’s your damage?” one guy uttered.
Craig shoved his badge in the guy’s face.  “This is my damage, show me yours!”
They seemed unfazed by Craig’s badge.  “So you’re cops, big deal.”  The guy showed his ID and Craig took it.
Craig held it out to me, and I shrugged.  It seemed legit, but I didn’t know the businesses around here, even with the briefing Craig gave me at the beginning of the night.  I was still kind of clueless.  I was at the bottom end of the learning curve as it were.  “Seems legit to me, sir,”  I said.
Craig handed it back to them.  “Why is there no business name on the side of your panel van, if you’re just delivering car parts.  I really do need to see inside the boxes to make sure.”
“Got a warrant?”
This guy had an attitude, but Craig showed him the standing warrant that we had.
The guy opened all four boxes, and they were indeed car parts. Craig asked, “Is that all you have to deliver tonight, fellas?”  Both men nodded, so we let them go on about their business, but stayed until the unit was locked up.
“Does anyone else use this building?”  Craig asked him.
“No, just Sanderson Bearings sir.  Now if you’ll excuse me, my shift is over, and I gotta get some shut eye.  Have a good one officers and I hope you get the men you’re after!  Too many damn drugs and stolen parts going on around here. It’s giving the neighborhood a bad name.  I’ll feel safer coming out here late at night when you catch the drug dealers.”
“Have you seen the drug dealers?”  I inquired.
“Yeah, I was here the other night doing inventory when a lady got stopped by those two cops.  They didn’t look like cops.  At least not like you guys.  They didn’t see us, but I saw them, plain as day from the window.”
“What were they wearing?”  Craig was taking notes, as the two men spoke.
“Suits, you know like the freebies would wear,” the younger man mentioned.
“They roughed her up pretty badly.”
Craig thought a minute.  “Could you describe them to the police downtown?  You’d be really helping out a lot if you did.  That lady that got roughed up wasn’t a drug dealer.”
“Was she a narc?  In any case, if she wasn’t a drug dealer, of course, we’ll help out!”
“Thanks, guys, I really appreciate it.  Here’s my card.  He also handed the guy a five dollar Timmy’s card as thanks for his cooperation.  Now go home and get some sleep and buy yourselves a double- double in the morning before you report to the police station.”
The guys thanked us and got in their van and drove away.
“I spoke up.  What was all that about?”
“When Kristen was arrested, two people dressed like they described, were here in the middle of the night.  They had all the right ID that said they were internal affairs.  I don’t think that’s the case at all.  Now I know my former partner has been set up.  I bet they’re part of the same drug gang.  I also smell the stench of Langley all over this!”
“So do ya think those two blokes were on the up and up, not blowing smoke up our arses?”
“I think they were legit Holmes. If they were guilty of anything at all, they would have tried to run.  I searched the boxes, and it was all car parts like he said. I’d still like to get a look inside, but we’d need to justify the search.”
I still wasn’t convinced being a natural skeptic, but Eversley appeared to believe the two men.
The rest of the shift was uneventful. Dawn came around, and our two replacements knocked on the window of the unmarked.  I was more than ready for eight hours of solid slumber.
line 2
holmes-in-america

You can find “Holmes In America: A Sherlock/Holmes mystery #1” (Sherlock/Holmes Mysteries) by Karen Vaughan at:

Amazon – FREE on Kindle Unlimited

No comments:

Post a Comment